Skip to main content

4 New Year's Resolution for an Artist or Writer

type writer


The new year is fast approaching (again) but never before has it been riddled with such uncertainty and anxiety, at least in my lifetime, not counting infamous 9-11.

We are supposed to reflect on this year with awe and amazement, except, I don't know about you, it is not of the positive kind due mainly to the unfortunate political climate.  As each year passes, however, I think of the opportunities I've missed delving more into my art and writing. You may be fired up and "resisting" with great fever and pitch, and all I can say I am so jelly.  I have become the political junkie, knowing names of political figures, reciting the day's scandal du jour, but it hardly gets transferred onto paper whether by words or art, I just end up reading other artist/writer friends do it.


My days are made of daydreams and whether its patience or complacency, I muster enough motivation to keep things going.  So, if you are like me, striving to be better, here are some tips to push you along and a quote by George Bernard Shaw “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?” 


What are the resolutions a writer or an artist can make?  This time of year, I resolve to tie up my shoes and head out out in the wee hours so no one can see me trot on the bike trail at a slow pace, just to say I am moving, picking up one foot in front of the other, in a shuffle-type cadence. But that's the health-type resolution.  We should also have a creativity resolution, so here's a small list:



Say It & Live It

1) Resolve to say you are a writer or an artist or a musician...whatever it is you do.  If you don't, you should still live like you do, and also say it to yourself in the mirror as your daily mantra, until, finally, you believe it.


Embrace Your Style


2) Resolve to recognize your own style.  Yes, you have studied Kafka to death but don't know why you keep writing a different way no matter how much you try to implement his greatness in your story line.   Remember, influences do not show up so obviously in our work, but the writer/artist we admire (in the foreground) has been a motivation factor to keep going with a certain piece or a series.


Switch It

3) Resolve to change things up a little bit. If you wake up at 4:30, get your coffee, and hit the computer to sort through and respond to emails like I do, see if you can get up to do yoga, or a brisk walk, or meet up with friends for coffee.  Start slow like once a week to a couple of days per week until it becomes second nature, and then switch up to something new. This approach gets you moving, helping you to collect material for your novel, poetry collection or art series.


Make the Time, Man


4) I saved the most important for last which should be the first, because it is very important and that is...make the time to write.  It may seem obvious and easy to do, but for most of us people who work and may have children, it is rather difficult.


Also here are some great books you can buy for more inspiration to make this year one of the most productive year EVER!


by Julia Cameron
"Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals"..."Hyatt shares a powerful, proven, research-driven system for setting and achieving goals. Readers learn how to design their best year ever in just five hours...

Anyone who is tired of not seeing progress in their personal, intellectual, business, relationship, or financial goals will treasure the field-tested wisdom found in these pages."








"The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback) By (author) Julia Cameron," ..."is a revolutionary program for artistic renewal from the world's foremost authority on the creative process, The Artist's Way is a life-changing book. This 25th anniversary edition includes a new introduction from the author."









Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear "Readers of all ages and walks of life have drawn inspiration and empowerment from Elizabeth Gilbert’s books for years. Now this beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration."








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 52: Pam Peacock

This week, I feature Filipinx visual artist, Pam Peacock.  She is the very talented younger sister of Eddie Peacock, a former classmate and neighbor of mine at Clark Air Force Base & Angeles City, Philippines. Listen to us discuss her work, her process, future plans, & how she is holding up during this pandemic. http://yourartsygirlpodcast.com http://thevoyagerpeacock.com              Check out my first episode!

Beauty in My Catastrophes

My New Song & Music Video

Check out my new song and music video! http://cristinaquerrer.com