Skip to main content

Island Asunder

"My Archipelago" mixed media series by Cristina Querrer


As if it's not enough
to watch the island go under
or watch myself float away.

It's still there like
some ancient ruin
left by a mighty chief.

I know what it may feel like
to go back to a time.
People don't look or act
the same: just some scattered
tribe speaking an old language,
broken and poor by
today's standard.

It's not enough to watch
myself go under
hopping from isle to isle
in search of the sailor,
some ancient mariner
who always had a heart
of a stray animal
ready to roll out his loot
to impress the King
as he raped & plundered
the rest for his safekeeping.

This is the same history
of every remote paradise.
The people are left wanting,
waiting for the next ship
& at the same time
waiting for the white man
to leave their island forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty in My Catastrophes

My New Song & Music Video

Check out my new song and music video! http://cristinaquerrer.com

Abyss & the Sun by CQ

New Music Video!