Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Finals Week: Reflecting on the Semester



It's finals week at most colleges across the United States.  I am finalizing and tallying up the grades getting ready to enter them into the reporting systems.

It's been a whirlwind at the very start of this semester, but now I can't believe (as usual) that the semester is over!  I impart my students well-wishes and hope that they continue on the road to their educational goals.  I often wonder how my students do as the years pass.  As an adjunct instructor I don't get that stationary office or email address that allows former students to reach out and I do find it very heartwarming particularly when my students and colleagues from Micronesia manage to keep in touch. 

To make it certain: I do not want to be a stationary adjunct instructor.  It is my goal (and hopefully in my very near future, like in the new year) to have accepted a full-time position or at the very least taking major steps in making that a reality soon so that I can offer my students my very best because I have the optimal working conditions including better economic stability.

My colleague, the philosopher instructor that I posted about earlier on Facebook who told me about the website Scribd.com that is like "Netflix for books", just got hired to be a temporary full-time instructor in her department.  I am so happy for her for representing the "team", us misfits of adjunct faculty.  There are adjunct faculty that are happy to be part-time, don't get me wrong, it is the majority of us, however, that want that full-time, permanent stability, and think it is best for the educational system as a whole and our students as well.

So, there you have it: off to my next teaching post!  The stars say, up North. I will report back once I get settled, dear friends.  In the meantime,  stay tuned for my latest postings of my artwork, poems and musings. 

No comments:

EsotericMe.com -- Be. Ethical. Fair Trade Global Products